[Leica] IMG: Large Ant Hill of Medium-Sized Black Ants

Steve Barbour stevebarbour at mac.com
Sun Jan 15 14:34:09 PST 2017

> On Jan 15, 2017, at 1:38 PM, RicCarter <ric at cartersxrd.net> wrote:
>
> looks like fire ants
>
> the dry poison that they grab and carry downthe hole is effective but requires patience
>
> the liquid mix to make a gallon of pour is faster, but make syou hunt for the main hole and risks stings on your ankles
>
> they will NOT go away on their own

fyi Jim,  be careful, if you try to remove this yourself….

the ants, especially if they are fire ants, don’t like it and they will attack you.

(The toxin they make is related to that of bees.)   While in Arizona,  I accidentally disturbed a small colony, wound up unconscious, with two rescue squads attending me.

If you are bitten once and are allergic you can wind up unconscious, If you are not allergic, and bitten multiple time  you may wind up unconscious, due to hypotension.

with a colony this large, best you get a professional to get rid of it.

steve