[Leica] TAX question: Should I buy an M10?

Ken Carney kcarney1 at cox.net
Thu Dec 28 07:55:48 PST 2017

If you can take delivery by December 31 (the "placed in service" rule),
you should be OK with a Schedule C deduction for the gear. This would be
either by electing to expense it under Sec. 179, or 100% bonus
depreciation for purchases after 9/27/17.  The Sec. 179 election is
limited to $500,000 of gear and doesn't apply after $2 million of
purchases (amounts no doubt crafted with Leica gear in mind).  The Sec.
179 deduction also can't cause a loss on your Schedule C.

Schedule A is for business deductions as an employee and wouldn't come
into play.  Also consider that if you have an even bigger book in 2018
and jump into another bracket, a 2018 purchase might be better.  A
crystal ball is needed here.

Ken