[Leica] Fuji GFX 50S and Hasselblad X1D versus Leica S

David Ching davidhhching at yahoo.com.sg
Sat Sep 24 10:38:11 PDT 2016

As much as I am fascinated by the prospect of using a sensor of higher resolution than Leica's S bodies in these two newer cameras, I keep recalling the comparison by one popular blogger's comparison of the Leica SL against Sony A7R2. The photographs of the former consistently had more details than the later which had almost double the resolution.

Currently using the S2 with two native lenses, 70 and 120 as well as the 35,45,55,80, 120, 140 of adapted Contax 645, the sizes and SLR styled bodies of the Fuji and Hassy is akin to these two other companies with long history of producing medium format lenses very appealing indeed.

I also use the MF film bodies of FUJI GSW690III, GA645Zi, GA645Wi and GX680. I find the lenses more than capable. The first 3 bodies are light and auto-focuses. They pre-date the Leica S system. So is the new FUJI MF digital a serious challenger to Leica

Coupled with EVF, it is almost like comparing the Leica M to Fuji X Pro Series. Yet my own tests show that the output of the Fuji is pretty much muddier. One might say that the resolution and size of the sensors are rather different, I suspect it is more than just these two factors. Perhaps the processing engines of Leica M and SL is superior.

Until one gets hold of an actual copy to compare, everything is pure conjecture... Herein lies the fun and the quest.
Just booked the Leica S adapter L to use Leica S lenses on my SL body. Gonna be real exciting!

Happy Shooting!

David Ching
Singapore

Sent from my iPad