[Leica] Drive question.

Spencer Cheng spencer at aotera.org
Mon Nov 14 01:53:33 PST 2016

It’s risky to rely on RAID-5 for HDDs over 1TB or so. The probability of a soft error during RAID-5 rebuild (which takes a long time for large HDDs) after a disk failure is statically significant for larger HDDs. Most RAID system will abort the RAID rebuild if an (soft) error occur (and then you have to recover from your backups — you do have backups, right? :)

I’ve gone to RAID-1 for my own personal NAS at home (and I use ZFS to ensure data integrity for you geeks). I only get 50% utilization but at least I can be sure that at least one copy will be usable after an HDD failure. I’ve had at least 1 HDD fail and 2 HDD go flakey on me over the last year or 2. Always just past the end of the warranty period.

My back up media is a single external HDD that is big enough to hold a copy of everything on my NAS. It’s a bit cumbersome but I don’t have the budget for a robotic tape library. :-(

Regards,
Spencer