[Leica] sensor corrosion

Howard Ritter hlritter at bex.net
Sat Mar 12 12:46:50 PST 2016

Steve, the color of the diffuse light source doesn’t matter. I believe the characteristic image lesion is a tiny haloed or targeted spot.

See here: https://us.leica-camera.com/World-of-Leica/Leica-News/About-Leica-News/Global/2014/Important-Information-Concerning-the-CCD-Sensors <https://us.leica-camera.com/World-of-Leica/Leica-News/About-Leica-News/Global/2014/Important-Information-Concerning-the-CCD-Sensors>
and Google “Leica sensor corrosion” for more views and images.

My own recent experience (less than 3 weeks ago) with my M9 is that you have the option of either sensor replacement at no cost, or a trade up to a new model for a cost. I called Leica USA directly less than 3 weeks ago and was told to send my camera in with a cover letter indicating that I wanted the camera checked for corrosion and that if it were found, I wished to trade my camera towards a new one. The woman I spoke to indicated that I could have my choice of several upgrades, including the 240 and the 246, although I didn’t ask what all the possibilities were; for all I know, you might get credit toward an S.

I did as she said and 5 days ago UPS delivered a new M Monochrom (246). The charge for this upgrade was $3950, though Tina said she was charged $2900 and Bob mentioned something like $3500. I don’t know the reason for the different prices, as the woman I spoke with didn’t ask me the age of my M9 when she quoted a price to me.