[Leica] IMG: From the Airport

Jim Nichols jhnichols at lighttube.net
Sat Jun 4 15:27:53 PDT 2016

I left the house with rainy day gear because of threatening weather, the
Oly E-1 with ZD 35/3.5 lens.  The ball game was called off, so I stopped
by the airport, where folks were waiting for jumpers to start appearing
from the threatening clouds.  We could occasionally see the Twin Otter
jump plane as it reached jump altitude, so I hiked out to the landing
zone, while watching dark clouds and rain approaching from the west.

The first to land was a bright orange and white chute.  You may note
that the skies get progressively darker with each image.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/P6046088fm_filtered.tif.html

The first of three tandem jumpers passed overhead.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/P6046096fm_filtered.tif.html

The second tandem pair made a nice approach and landing.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/P6046100fm.tif.html

The third tandem pair appear to be the same ones I posted a few days
ago, with the big smile.  The smile is still there.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/P6046110fm_filtered.tif.html

These jumpers savored the moment as the chute settled to the ground.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/P6046112fm_filtered.tif.html

With the rain getting closer, the folks loaded up for the trip back to
the hangar.  First, the "Gator", that  picks up any that land some
distance away.  No need for that today.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/P6046113fm.tif.html

Next, the main transport cart and canopy trailer.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/P6046117fm.tif.html

As I headed toward my car, I noted an airplane with strange gear
attached, resembling the surveillance gear often seen on military
helicopters.  I snapped a couple of images.  Some online searching told
me that this was an FBI surveillance aircraft, operated by a "front"
company in Virginia.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/P6046119fm.tif.html

As soon as I reached my vehicle, the clouds cut loose.

All with the Oly E-1 and ZD 35/3.5 at ISO 400