[Leica] IMGs: Friday's flowers on Saturday

George Lottermoser george.imagist at icloud.com
Sat Jul 23 11:44:44 PDT 2016

> On Jul 23, 2016, at 12:19 PM, RicCarter <ric at cartersxrd.net> wrote:
>
> what’s up tiger lily?
>
> lovely capture
>
> ric
>

>> On Jul 23, 2016, at 12:20 PM, George Lottermoser <george.imagist at icloud.com> wrote:
>>
>> C & C always welcome and appreciated
>>
>> <http://www.imagist.com/blog/?p=11037>

thanks ric.

While I’m not really a “know your plants and birds and frogs guy”
I stumble around at attempting to learn and retain information;
with limited success.

This specimen so impressed me when we first moved into this home
that I learned:

Turk's-cap Lily
Lilium superbum L.
Turk's-cap lily flowers have a green star at the center,
which makes a good identifying mark for this plant.
The green star will distinguish Turk's-cap lily from tiger lily (Lilium trigrinum),
a plant from Asia that sometimes escapes from gardens.

	• Family: lily (Liliaceae)
	• Habitat: wet meadows and woods
	• Height: 3-7 feet
	• Flower size: 2-1/2 inches across
	• Flower color: orange
	• Flowering time: July to September
	• Origin: native

These blooms do have a “subtle" green star in the center
and this year it stands nearly 6 feet tall.

Yet you cause me to doubt what I thought I knew in IDing the damn thing.

Regards,
George Lottermoser

http://www.imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com/blog