[Leica] We Watched Fireworks

Howard L Ritter Jr hlritter at twc.com
Sun Dec 4 18:10:47 PST 2016

That’s a nice capture of the end of the skyrocket trajectory that we don’t usually see!

How long have you had your a7rII, and how do you like it? I got mine this past summer and I love it. Its first assignment was to accompany me for two weeks in Germany in September. I like the forward bulge of the battery compartment on the right side. With a wrist strap for security, the camera dangles nicely from a couple of fingers hooked around the bulge, always ready for use. It logged a lot of miles that way walking in Germany. That was one of the things that I really liked about my NEX-7, which disappeared on the trip back from Germany in 2015. I decided to replace it with the a7 rather than the 6500 because of the full frame and a change in the bulge of the 6500 from the NEX-7 that makes it impossible to dangle. But I do miss the compactness of the 18-55 kit zoom, which produced excellent images – if you increase the width of the sensor by 50%, you have to increase the length of an equivalent lens similarly, and that almost quadruples its mass. That’s what the 24-70 feels like, all right! Sure do wish Sony would find the will to put the lovely Zeiss 35/2 from the RX-1 in an E mount…

—howard