[Leica] Jimmie Walker

Howard L Ritter Jr hlritter at twc.com
Mon Aug 1 13:17:10 PDT 2016

For LUGgers who may not be intimately familiar with astroimaging, I’d like to point out that those images are not the work of a casual amateur. They are not snapshots, but the equivalent of painstaking view-camera landscapes followed by hours in the darkroom. The quality bespeaks considerable experience, care, and post-processing talent, often or usually done by combining multiple images, sometimes dozens, comprising total exposure times of hours, often accumulated over a span of several nights at the telescope. Jimmy’s name is well known in astroimaging circles, and until reading a note about his PGA win on one of those sites this morning, I had no idea that he’s a professional golfer as well.

As the work of an amateur (as opposed to the relatively few astroimages that are made by professionals with observatory equipment these days), if they were a golf game, they’d be in a Pro-Am tournament for sure. Jimmy’s the Richard Man, even Ansel Adams, of the night sky!

—howard