[Leica] Light tripods and electronic first curtain

Frank Filippone red735i at verizon.net
Tue Oct 27 17:11:47 PDT 2015

 I had the chance to see, first hand, the tripod Paul Roarke uses. It is not only light, it is also a tripod that I would not normally use with a "good" camera.   The reason it works for Paul, who uses it with the column fully raised (Paul is over 6 feet tall. The tripod legs go up only about 4 feet. Paul would have a sore back ...except)
Paul uses a pad for under his knee if he needs to kneel in use.  But what really makes this work for Paul is that his camera, a Sony A7rII, has an electronic first shutter and image stabilization built into the body. Paul sets up the camera with the built in self timer. After he hits the button, the next mechanical part that moves, and thus creates any vibration , after the exposure is done.  No vibration Because of  shutter movement and first shutter curtain is introduced by the camera.

Yet another reason that in body image stabilization and EVF cameras are really good tools.

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net