[Leica] If not Lightroom, ...

Mark Rabiner mark at rabinergroup.com
Tue Oct 13 21:42:14 PDT 2015

Basically it was another "I don't have time for this" post. A post you've
sent to the Lug plenty of times before. We don't need to be biannually
reminded you have no time for tweaking a jpeg.. I have no idea of course how
much gear you have or not I just know from you're reminding us often of your
lack of interest in dealing with your images. Images we never see.

By the way I have no problem with collectors. They love cameras. They have
them all lined up on the wall under glass for us to look at. Sure these are
tools others might be using to make photograph's but these people treasure
them.
What I have problem with  are not the collectors  but the traders. People
who win a lens off of ebay use it for a month and then put it up for auction
- and with some inane complaint as to what was wrong with it so they had to
get rid of it. And why this new lens just out out classes it.  The old lens
is old new. Bad bokeh in the highlights. These people have no respect for
the gear, no respect  for the people who make the gear and no respect  for
the people who use the gear but a high respect for conspicuous consumption.
They just have to have the rarified latest. No prints or jpegs even.  And
the last thing they're going to spend money on is Photoshop. They just can't
be bothered. The cheapest software possible please. No regular payments.
How much this actually fits you I have no idea. But with your bi annual
negative energy pain in the ass reminders it seems likely more than a few.
I have found that the more particular a person is on the gear the more he
spends on it the less of a chance of us ever seeing anything which comes out
of it.
And the less time and money he's going to want to spend on the image making
workflo. Have we ever in our years on the LUG seen anything from you?
Its been a long time on the lists that people can get away with talking the
talk without a little walking the walk. You have to do it. There has to be
results.

On 10/13/15 11:59 PM, "Spencer Cheng" <spencer at aotera.org> wrote:

> Mark,

This is not the first time you have insinuated or stated I am some kind
> of idiot with too much money. Please stop doing that.

I don¹t judge you and
> please don¹t judge me. We have never met so DO NOT presume what I have or do
> not have in camera gear. I enjoy taking pictures when I can. I don¹t share my
> pictures on the LUG by choice. I don¹t make my living with photography and I
> am not a collector of any camera gear. I bought exactly 1 camera (Fuji XE-2)
> in the last 5 years and borrowed an M-8 for an extended period last year.
> Before that, I bought 2 of Ted¹s R-8s which I had fun with. I still own the
> M-4P which I bought in 1983 though that I will likely give it away as a
> graduation gift to a friend¹s son since he likes film and Leica Ms.  I use
> what I buy. Some gear I inherited don¹t get used much. So be it.

There are
> many, many people on and off the LUG who are far better photographers than I
> am but so what?

I am currently the CTO of a Chinese technology startup, so,
> as I said, my spare time is very limited. I spend too much time over the
> Pacific/Artic where photo ops are rather limited. All Boeing 777 interiors
> that Air Canada flies between Toronto and Hong Kong looks exactly the same.
> Most passengers and cabin crew aren¹t in the mood to have their pictures taken
> during the 15.5 hour flight.

I asked for suggestions about alternatives to LR
> and appreciate all the constructive comments received.

If you think I am
> being an idiot, please contact me privately and we can discuss. I make
> mistakes every day. Otherwise, have a nice day.

Regards,
Spencer

PS. What¹s
> with this collectors-are-idiots mentality on the LUG I see sometimes? It¹s
> their money. If they are willing to support Leica, so much the better.

> On
> Oct 13, 2015, at 14:07, Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com> wrote:
>
> This
> tread is really not about what software to use instead of what.
> Its what I
> call a "reminder message"
> And we get them on the LUG weekly for years.
> reminder that yes I have a  nice chunk of my net work invested in camera
>
> gear which I buy and sell, trade rather with glee but my priorities for
>
> dealing with whatever image I make with this gear is low. I really don't
>
> want to lift a finger. I just want more gear. Photography doesn't interest
>
> me.
> Its very important for these guys to remind us of that on a timely
> bases.
> "Your joy of photography means nothing to me".
> "Do I really have to
> spend 50 bucks to buy softwear to tweak these images?
> Plus learn how to use
> that software?"
>
> On the LUG in the 90's we'd have guys who really went
> through a lot of gear
> with no images to show for it but with opinions to
> validate supposedly the
> trade.
> We'd tease them and tell them that the
> film going through the camera can
> wear down the rails and devalue thier
> precious investment.
> "Whatever you do don't take pictures with it."
> "oh
> really gee I didn't know that!"

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer