[Leica] Jag. XK 140

Peter Dzwig pdzwig at summaventures.com
Fri Oct 2 15:08:16 PDT 2015

Larry,

I'm not in the market for an XK140 now. At the time I had an Austin Healey 100/6
Rally rep and an MGB GT V8, both of which were a hoot. The XK was something that
I saw at a small local auction. I was really looking at an XK120 fhc but even
then (and we are talking 25 years ago) it was beyond me.

Peter

On 02/10/2015 15:35, Larry Zeitlin via LUG wrote:
>  Peter,?
> Unless you have a of time and a fat wallet give a Jaguar XK 140 a pass. It may be a nice showpiece but it makes a very bad users car. I owned one of these, a bright red Jag convertible in the '50s. It may have been fast but it was one of the worst engineered cars I ever drove. The engine featured three SU carbs, one for each pair of cylinders, that were virtually impossible to tune simultaneously. The spoked racing wheels had a tendency to pop spokes on fast accelerations. Every time I tromped on the throttle pedal I could hear the ping of a spoke popping. The knock off hubs, while attractive, were almost impossible to remove. The steering wheel adjusted to variety of positions, none of them comfortable. The engine intruded on the footwell space requiring you to drive with one leg straight out, the other bent to a crouching position. Eventually one of the brakes failed and could not be repaired, even by the California Jag distributor. Thr=e steering became so terminally loo

 se