[Leica] XP-2

Dante Stella dstella1 at ameritech.net
Wed Nov 25 10:48:14 PST 2015

Does a 1/3 stop even make a difference? Or is 320 a lucky number that people remember from TXP120? Serious question.

I see references everywhere to rating 400 film of various types at 320, and it seems a bit strange because few film cameras are accurate and consistent enough to predict a blanket rule with an almost insignificant amount of overexposure. Virtually anything with a leaf shutter is already overexposing by at least that much -- meaning that "320" really means 250, and 2/3 stop is much more noticeable than 1/3. And with all mechanical shutters, each speed can have a different error in a different direction. The other thing is that C-41 processing, at least commercial processing, is not that consistent either.

And having put a densitometer to silver negatives exposed at one-third stop increments with very accurate electronic shutters, it does not tend to drag meaningful detail out of the toe. And it makes zero difference to tones on a straight-line film like TMY. Maybe things are different with XP2, but even eyeballing its curve, it seems doubtful that (an actual) 1/3 stop would do very much.

Or maybe I'm missing the magic here? I take the suggestion seriously coming from you, but it still seems slightly superstitious.

Best,
Dante