[Leica] Mary Ellen Mark On Vimeo for Leica

Jayanand Govindaraj jayanand at gmail.com
Thu May 28 20:41:06 PDT 2015

Bob,
Interesting. TFS.

What struck me is that most of the pictures have no emotional impact for
me, like the girls in the gang on the street, without her narration, as I
am not steeped in the nitty gritties of US culture. Goes against what Kyle
says that one of her tenets was, about not having a caption. I think that
is valid when you have a mono cultural, homogenous viewership for your
work, but once you have a cross cultural audience, a little explanation,
like a caption, is invaluable to create the emotional impact! Of course,
this observation is for the sort of photographs that she took, and
obviously would apply to a much lesser extent for nature/wildlife and that
sort of thing, but even there, giving the frame "a local habitation and a
name" does help in pulling the viewer emotionally into the frame.

My two bits!

Cheers
Jayanand