[Leica] (SPAM: ?) RE: (SPAM: ?) Re: So much for "film is forever"..

Spencer Cheng spencer at aotera.org
Fri May 15 15:49:41 PDT 2015

Given how few electrons are used to represent 1 bit on a modern SSD, data on an SSD that is not been used can have an amazing short life. There are some recent reports in the technology press. Mostly gobbledygook unless you have the background.

I remember Brian talked about the best way to do backups about 5-10(?) years ago when hard disks were a few hundred MB. It’s in the LUG archive somewhere. I am too lazy to find it. It was to copy your data onto a HDD and keep them in a cool dry place. I am not sure it’s applicable today with much bigger disks.

[Brian, what’s your current suggestion for backups given most HDDs are now 3-5TB?]

What’s best practice 10 years ago may not be so today simply because technology has changed.

Spencer