[Leica] So much for "film is forever"..

Mark Rabiner mark at rabinergroup.com
Wed May 13 22:32:30 PDT 2015

I work from my digital files from  the early 2000's when I started shooting
digital they are in my same folder as my files going to this  year. By year.
I have 14 yearly files labeled by year I've been shooting digital 14 years.
They have not "faded". And by that I'd assume we mean gotten corrupted. As
if the 0's and 1's got messed  up the result would not be subtle.
The sensors were so bad those days one could think that was the case though.
Digital fading.

But then again when I processed it now it looks better because the software
is better and I'm better at using it. I was near clueless on photo crunching
in 2004.

Here's one from 11 years ago
Nikon D100 4/1/04, 9:40:24 PM, Fullers Coffee Shop Illuminated with red
neon, 24.0-85.0 mm f/3.5-4.5D

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/springdays/040401_214024.jpg.html

Or

http://tinyurl.com/n5wkqco

On 5/14/15 1:17 AM, "Spencer Cheng" <spencer at aotera.org> wrote:

> Canadian Archive uses microfiche which are stable for 100+ years (or acid-free
> paper for documents). The Canadian census was stored that way. ³was² because I
> am not sure we have a real census any more.

Digital storage is very
> ephemeral. I doubt if most digital storage will last more than 10 years. Those
> 1¹s randomly change to 0¹s far too frequently. I don¹t think archivist like
> digital media very much.

Regards,
Spencer

--