[Leica] B&W conversion methods

Ken Carney kcarney1 at cox.net
Fri May 8 09:16:51 PDT 2015

Hi, Adam

I have not printed this version yet.  I currently have the Epson 3880
printer and will be keeping an eye on the Epson P800 (also a 17" width)
to see if the promise of better blacks holds true.  I think that is the
area, maybe the last area, where improvement is needed for b&w as
compared to wet prints.  I have tried some of the specialty b&w inksets
and continuous flow conversions but they are all in a landfill somewhere
now (they are for folks who print daily as the vendor told me and I
didn't listen).  Yes, I did add some TriX grain to this one.  I use
TrueGrain (www.grubbasoftware.com).  They used blank film stock in
various developers and then scanned the results, for example TriX in D76
1:a at 20C.  The grain added by software such as SEP is of course a
digital approximation.  Both of the gallery images are 1024x700. Thanks
for looking and commenting!

Ken