[Leica] Critiques

Ted Grant tedgrant at shaw.ca
Mon May 4 11:17:45 PDT 2015

Steve Barbour  OFFERED:
subject: Re: [Leica] Critiques

>>>I speak as an amateur who will not make a living from his photography, but who is serious about it....

I know what I like, I'd rather go with my own gut, than count "likes" here or on Facebook. My own reactions are what really turns me on.<<<<<<<<

Hi Steve,
Rightly so as far as we the photog of the scene, whatever it maybe! I bet there isn't one of the so called big names in history who didn't at sometime or other who said:.. "To heck with whatever they say!!" HCB and his kind.  "I love my picture as it is and as I see it in my mind and feel it in my gut!"

And anyone making a critique isn't going to change his or any other photog's mind.

We as our own "photo editor" have our feelings and not even a huge bolt of negative lightening is going to make us change our minds!" And rightly so! By the same token we can be very wrong simply because often we re-call the emotions of the "CLICK" moment that creates...... "I'm right and I'm not changing it for anyone!" Even very experienced shooters can relate in that fashion.

Like you, I go by my gut feelings nearly all the time.

UNTIL MY TOUGHEST PHOTO EDITOR MADE ONE COMMMENT? :-)  (When she was still by my side.)
My dearest Irene would ask? " So these are the best you've ever taken in your life?" Then stand there as cold faced as an iceberg awaiting my retort? Rarely had one, just filed them never to be seen again! :-)

Then there would be a nice pleasant smile, a gentle loving pat on the head and she'd quietly leave the editing room!  "Dang she's right again!"  :-) Yep 99.9999999999999% of the time she was right! And I never got into any kind of argument with her!  WHY? Well she had an incredible sense of what was good, bad, ugly and "O'hum!"

cheers,
Dr. ted  :-)