[Leica] Red Jag E Type

H&ECummer cummer at netvigator.com
Tue Mar 10 18:23:57 PDT 2015

Hi Luggers,
Thanks to all who commented.
My jag experience was quite a bit like my Leica digital M experience.
Shifting from third to fourth at about 120 mph on the highway to Saskatoon, Sask. Canada, a nut holding one of the connecting rods came off and drove itself
through the aluminum crankcase. Jaguar wanted to put the car on a flat bed truck and tow it to Winnipeg for repair.

I refused; so they flew the mechanic from Winnipeg to Saskatoon to do the job after a new engine had been air freighted from London - first to Winnipeg - and then by truck to Saskatoon - because the crated engine was too big to fit in the cargo hold of a DC 9 - so they said. After the repair I drove the car to LA to start a new job. On the way the starter motor cable came off and so the car wouldn't start. A sharp eyed mechanic in Nevada figured that one out although he had never seen a Jag before. The transistors for the ignition were fixed between the two 6 cylinder banks and when stuck in slow traffic in the California summer they tended to melt. Finally I delivered a case of single malt Scotch to the Service Manager of Santa Monica Jaguar to thank him for good service and to ensure it in the future. In the end I rented a Camero for business and parked the E type until I could sell it. Still, I get nostalgic when I see it. I remember good times like VIP parking in front of various clubs in LA. Only Ferraris outranked the E Type for preferential parking. Those were the days!!
:-)
Howard.