[Leica] Do you ever feel you're cheating with photography?

kyle cassidy on the lug leicaslacker at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 09:41:21 PDT 2015

There are some things that I’ve always resisted photographing because it’s like cheating — views that are so spectacular all you need to do is show up (antelope canyon is a prime example of this) — locally I’ve always avoided photographing in Eastern State Penitentiary, the abandoned prison that once housed Al Capone and is now a ruined tourist attraction. Getting spectacular photos there is pretty much “f2.8 and be there”.

A few weeks ago I ended up teaching a photo class in there ( For a ridiculous amount of money, you can get the whole place to yourself.) I was going to stick to my guns and not actually take any photos while I was teaching but I ended up snapping about ten because it felt foolish not to grab something that was right there. This is model Roxana Hire, shot with a Leica M9 and a 35mm 1.7 while waiting for the students to get their lights set up.

http://www.kylecassidy.com/lj/2015/roxana.jpg <http://www.kylecassidy.com/lj/2015/roxana.jpg>

I was also unable to avoid going to Antelope Canyon and taking photos while passing through Arizona.

What about you? Are there things you avoid photographing because you think it’s too easy? Do you ever give in?