[Leica] more info on the M9 3rd party battery mystery

Richard Taylor r.s.taylor at comcast.net
Fri Feb 27 09:39:27 PST 2015

Kyle - Since they behaved this way that are probably NiCd batteries though some other varieties behave this way, too, I believe.  This is normal behavior for batteries of this type when left on charge for a long time and only lightly discharged.  NiCd batteries are at their best when they are deep discharged regularly.  I’m not strong on the chemistry involved but you can find a more detailed explanation here:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_restore_nickel_based_batteries

One space mission I worked on deep discharged the spacecraft batteries routinely as part of a battery conditioning program to keep them fully functional over the lifetime of the mission.  I have a GPS that requires I periodically fully discharge the battery (sometimes twice) before it will hold a charge again.  (It is almost alway run plugged into the cigarette lighter of my car when in use.)

My memory is more vague on this, but i believe some NiMH batteries behave this way, too.

Sounds like entirely normal behavior to me.

Best,

Dick
BSEE
City College of NY 1962