[Leica] Oysters again

lrzeitlin at aol.com lrzeitlin at aol.com
Thu Dec 10 22:51:33 PST 2015

 To my surprise I received several comments?lambasting my apparent insult to oysters as delicacies. One would even think that I had criticized Leicas. Actually I love oysters but I prefer that they come from a vetted source. My area used to be the world's major supplier of raw oysters but overfishing and pollution made them dangerous to eat. Oysters concentrate and retain most water borne pathogens. Too bad. I don't like to play Russian roulette with my seafood. Here is a quote from Wikipedia:
- - -
Oysters can contain harmful bacteria. Oysters are filter feeders, so will naturally concentrate anything present in the surrounding water. Oysters from the Gulf Coast of the United States, for example, contain high bacterial loads of human pathogens in the warm months, most notably Vibrio vulnificus and Vibrio parahaemolyticus. In these cases, the main danger is for immunocompromised individuals, who are unable to fight off infection and can succumb to septicemia, leading to death. Vibrio vulnificus is the most deadly seafood-borne pathogen.
- - -
Larry Z