[Leica] Leica in the US Space Program?

Frank Filippone red735i at verizon.net
Tue Dec 8 11:24:49 PST 2015

I thought Leica did not participate in the US Space Program.  However, we
were recently at the Space and Air Museum in DC where I saw a Leica camera (
too high for me to look down on it) with a "funny" external VF or meter as
it had an on/off switch, presumably for use with the face covering helmets
the Astronauts wear.

The model had no RF; no VF; dual VF sockets on top, only a single PC Synch
terminal with a hole for the second; and a general look of a Ic.  Nameplate
was in script, with DBP written below the logo.

Lens was a black no name lens ( about 135 in length, if I were to guess)
mounted to the body with a screw mount.

Had anyone known that Leica was involved in the US Space Program?

I knew Zeiss (Contarex) and Hasselblad were involved...

Subsequently I did a bit of research and found this...

http://gmpphoto.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-leica-nasa-connection.html

Which details some Leica activity.. And the camera I saw was a 1g.used by
John Glenn in 1962.  The thing on top WAS a VF.

Why did the VF have an on/off switch????  Maybe it was a VF/Meter combo?

Read the article.  If you are a Space "Nut". It is very interesting..

Frank Filippone

Red735i at verizon.net