[Leica] PESO: a call for help

George Lottermoser george.imagist at icloud.com
Sat Apr 4 10:59:32 PDT 2015

On Apr 4, 2015, at 12:24 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> I do not usually ask for your help in editing photos—I consider that it is up to me decide what to post and up to you to decide whether I have posted pearls or garbage. But for once I am in genuine doubt. I am selecting pictures from Semana Santa to make a small gallery. The processions culminate tomorrow, so I will likely go downtown during the day to document the meeting of the Virgin and the resurrected Jesus in front of Alicante’s city hall that marks the end of Easter here. Right now, I am editing the pictures from last night, and what I cannot decide is whether to present them in B&W or color. On the one hand, the colors are an integral part of the events; but then again, presenting the images in B&W changes the mood to something more menacing, for example in the PAD I posted earlier today.
>
> Here is an example of an image in color:
> http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/belgiangator/misc/Viernes_santo_color.jpg.html
>
> and the same image in B&W:
> http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/belgiangator/misc/Viernes_santo_bw.jpg.html
>
> Which one do you prefer, and why?

To me these decisions really come down to:
What do I, Nathan Wajsman, wish to express, photographically about this event.

If you're in "genuine doubt" between the two modes of expression (color or b&w) for this documentary presentation
I assume you're second guessing your natural inclinations and drives.

I also assume that you DO feel drawn to one approach over the other; yet doubt those feelings.

In a case like this I'd just continue in the flow of the process
and see how it all shakes out after you've gathered all the impression coming through your lenses.

You'll KNOW.

Push comes to shove: you can do a b&w gallery and color gallery.

Regards,
George Lottermoser

http://www.imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com/blog