[Leica] Do you remember why you joined the LUG?

Duane Birkey dbirkey at reachbeyond.org
Wed Oct 15 15:19:44 PDT 2014

I joined / started reading the LUG way back in the late 90s....   It was a great way to learn about Leica gear, what was good, and what to avoid. Erwin posted all of his tests and things on the LUG back then....    I bought some gear from fellow LUGgers....    But more than that, I wanted to be on the LUG as there were a lot of great working photographers on the list back then...   It was a great way to hang out with veterans who talked about life & experience as photographers....   and I enjoyed the chance to meet several LUGgers who made their way to Quito, Ecuador, as that was where I was living at the time...

And of course the LUG always seemed to have other perennial conversations about Tilley hats, Billingham bags,  Mont Blanc and other fine writing instruments, filters, twinkie lights, fine wine and other assorted beverages...  and whole host of topics that people either seemed to love or hate....

We've had quite a few colorful people on the list over the years...   But even with its faults... the LUG has always been a great resource to learn about and a place to share our love of Leica...   and photography....

Duane