[Leica] Unexpected camera limitation

Herbert Kanner kanner at acm.org
Fri Oct 10 15:34:14 PDT 2014

I just ran into a totally unexpected limitation of my Panasonic DMC-LX5, A camera which retailed new for $400, or with Leica brand, cosmetics, and firmware, $800. I was trying to photograph a small decorative waterfall, set the shutter to 1/15 to fuzz up the water, and picked the lowest ISO available: ISO 80. Then I discovered that the camera simply would not stop down below f/8, giving an impossible over exposure. Would I have bought the camera had I known this—I wonder.

I did get it at half the new price, so I suppose it’s better than anything I could get new for $200.

Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org
650-326-8204