[Leica] IMG: Gibbous moon

Peter Klein pklein at threshinc.com
Tue Oct 7 15:07:50 PDT 2014

<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/15285876780/in/photostream/lightbox/>

Telescope?  I ain't got no steenkin' telescope. This was taken with a
1970s-vintage Vivitar 300/5.5 and a Tokina teleconverter on a
tripod-mounted Oly E-M5, so equivalent full-frame focal length is
1200mm.  The posted picture is about 64% of the frame by linear
measurement, or 41% by area.

There was a thin haze in the air, but this being the Pacific Northwest,
I decided to seize the opportunity of a relatively clear night anyway.
The original image was a bit soft at 1:1.  I extracted the green
channel*,  ran it through Focus Magic, which really brought out the
details, then some conventional rotation, curves and contrast enhancement.

--Peter, returning to the LEM

* Drastically reduces CA-related softness, and the green channel has 2x
more pixels than the others. This was visibly more effective than just
using Capture One's "color fringing" compensation.