[Leica] LTM lens to M body

lrzeitlin at aol.com lrzeitlin at aol.com
Tue Oct 7 14:29:51 PDT 2014

 Herb,
The M body flange to film distance is 1 mm shorter than the LTM flange to film distance. The LTM to M adaptor is 1 mm thick. When the adaptor is screwed ?to the threads of an LTM lens the lens, for all intents and purposes it becomes an M lens. The focusing cams and mechanism work the same way on the M as they do on the LTM cameras. Leica released the M bodies before it had a sufficient supply of M lenses and, using this simple method of fitting the older lenses to the new bodies hoped to seduce LTM fans into buying a camera which was so different. It worked for me. I could fit all my old Leica lenses to my newly purchased M camera. Unfortunately for Leica I could also fit my Canon lenses and a few Nikon lenses to the Leica as well. In the 50s the Leica screw mount was the defacto standard for many removable 35 mm rangefinder lenses except for Contax and a few other odd balls.?
Larry Z
- - -?