[Leica] Re Summaron f3.5 vs. Jupiter 12

lrzeitlin at aol.com lrzeitlin at aol.com
Sat Oct 4 17:37:12 PDT 2014

 The Summaron f3.5 is a very old lens, the first Leica design after WW2. The Jupiter 12 is even older and based on pre WW2 Zeiss design. I've used both and they both deliver adequate results if you are not hypercritical. I even still have a Summaron f3.5 with eyes that I use on my equally old Leica M3. But if you want a more modern lens that outperforms either of the other two try to find a Canon 35mm f2.8. This lens in an LTM mount was developed by Canon for its late model cameras including the Canon 7. It is an updating of the Canon Serenar 35mm lens. By actual test it is better than the Summaron although not as good as the Leica ASPH lenses. Since Canon lenses have far less market prestige it is likely to be considerably cheaper. Like a quarter the price of a Summaron.
Larry Z