[Leica] Great Sand Dunes National Park

Howard Ritter hlritter at bex.net
Sat Aug 9 08:56:01 PDT 2014

Thanks for the compliments, Bob. It is indeed well worth the visit. We did not visit the north side; I’ll have a look at the map and see if we missed something accessible by vehicle.

There was significant water in Medano Creek, which is at its peak in the spring melt season. I’ve added a photo: http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/dunes/DSC02788.jpg.html

As for a winter visit, I’d have a look at the park website. The park’s base elevation is 8200’ and the summer temperatures mild. In winter I’d expect fairly harsh conditions, on the way to it if not there, especially if you’re towing.

—howard