Subject: [Leica] Black Leopard Experience
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2024 07:40:48 +0530

Nathan,

Thanks for looking.

The Laikipia region is not really suited to agriculture, because it is
hilly and has poor quality soil. Many water rich areas around the world,
like the Pantanal in Brazil, for example, are poor for agriculture because
of the soil quality. Like the Pantanal, Laikipia is more suited to cattle
farming, because grass for grazing is plentiful even though the quality of
the soil cannot support agriculture - other countries like Ireland and New
Zealand also come to mind. This is the reason you find cattle herders like
the Masai tribe, and their close cousins, the Samburu tribe, dominant
across the rift valley in Kenya. In addition, Laikipia is close to the
Southern reaches of the Sahara, not very far from the Southern Sudan
border, and is a fairly arid place. They have had unseasonal rains this
year, like many other parts of the world (like Chennai!!!), which accounts
for the lush green landscape in my photographs.

Cheers
Jayanand