Subject: [Leica] L Simplified Backup for the average Digital Photographer....
From: amagayneroshak at gmail.com (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2024 17:22:59 -0500

On Sat, 1 Jun 2024 Frank Filippone <bmwred735i at gmail.com>wrote:

>This is written to help those who are not computer savvy, and have a few
years of digital photos they wish to preserve, and especially want to
>backup.? I will try to be as easy on the techie talk as possible.
>You want to preserve them... for "posterity".? Or your Kids.? Or because
you are a hoarder.
>Go get an USB 3.0,? EXTERNAL, HDD.?? There are two brands, Seagate or
Western Digital.? Makes no difference which you choose.
>It will come in a capacity of 4TB to 20TB.? Figure a cost of about $15 per
TB.
>Do not buy a portable HDD. get the _desktop version_.
>What size for ME?? big enough.... use this as a guideline....
>If you produce RAW 60MP images, each 1TB of HDD space will hold roughly
16,000 images.
>Do the math.... or just use this advice, buy the 8TB model. That is a
lifetime of images for Mr. Joe Average, amateur photographer.
>Dedicate this HDD to your images only.? Or not.
>How easy is this to install?? Plug it in to power and use the enclosed USB
cable to your computer.? Done. Installed.
>Figure out HOW you wish to establish the hierarchy of folders... by Year??
Camera?? Country/Topic?? Set up those folders.
>Copy all your image files to the external HDD. ( this may take a while ...
do it the first time at night.... )

>Done.

>Yes, it really is that easy.

>Do not pay attention to the recent nonsense on RAID Arrays, JBOD, NAS,
DAS, LAN, or other words that you really have no interest in.? Just go get
>the
>8TB USB 3.0,? EXTERNAL, HDD, and start using it.

>Happy backup heaven.

>Frank Filippone

>BMWRed735i at Gmail.com
Thank you, Frank.
I have less than 500 GB of digital files, so this helps a lot.
--
Alan

(Retired)
UPAA Photographer of the Year 1978