Subject: [Leica] [Leica} Drobos... If you have them what can you expect?
From: bmwred735i at gmail.com (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu, 16 May 2024 14:17:36 -1000

Thanks you Brian for backing me up and supporting all the Drobo users out
there by telling them what to expect.

If you figured out your days are numbered using Drobo, and are thinking of
possible solutions, Brian has presented the Easiest and hardest solutions...

The JBOD boxes are basically external HDD Enclosures that hold a bunch of
HDD.? You access then just like you would if they were not in one box but
many. Least cost, available is sizes from 2 drives to many many many.... I
found up to 24 at one point..... all inside one box. You probably do not
need this many separate HDD bays ( holes in which you put a single HDD) but
maybe you do.....?? Cost is in the Hundreds of dollars for a 4 bay.... and
up.? You can do this work yourself, it is not hard.? YOU have the skills.

Why a LAN based NAS rather than a USB based JBOD array?? Because the NAS is
faster at transferring data from the actual HDD to the computer..? By a
factor of 2-4. Search will also be faster ( photography images are basically
a database sorting problem).? Each HAS has its own little processor that
will do part of the job for you.? It also can transfer this information over
the Internet, be run remotely, etc.? All things that may or most likely
will not make a difference to you.

The absolute hardest way to do this is what Brian did... he built himself a
NAS from available bits and pieces. added SW he needed, and basically did
what any average NAS would do.? (His probably has more options, is nore
flexible, has better control, more solid and robust hardware and
software,etc.... but wayyyyy above the skill level of the average
photographer.

BUT he has the skills to do this..... the big question is do you???????? No,
your 16year old grandson does not.? Or maybe he does.? YMMV

In 99.9999% of user cases, you will be best off buying a NAS rather than
building one ..? Cost is from about $250 (2bay) and up. ( and way up is
possible and very $$$$$).? With modern HDD, this can save up to 22TB PER
HDD!!!!!? Use two, one for backup and your total cost for a JBOD solution is
in the order of $600.? Add about another $200 for a NAS solution.? 22TB per
drive.... a LOT of iPhone images! LOT!!!!? ANd you have backup space.....

In all of this discussion, it is possible in most cases to reuse your
existing HDD.....cutting your overall cost to a lot less.? As in 50% to 75%
of
the replacement box cost is tied up in HDD.? The box itself is only a couple
hundred to a few (!!!) thousand.

But consider, if you do decide to replace your Drobo, that all of these
options take up desk space.? How much you want on it is a factor.? Your
current old drives may be 1-2TB each.? If you decided on an 8TB Storage
setup, this is roughly 4-8 drives.

The box to hold 4-8 drives is much larger and more expensive and possibly
more complex.? In truth it is a tradeoff.? Each person's solution will be
different.

A single 8TB HDD, new, might cost you? $150.? A single USB box is as cheap
as $20.? You can also buy large storage drives from Seagate or WD and they
offer good value, especially if on sale.

I think it is time to take this subject off line.? If you wish to discuss it
further, contact me....I am willing to help......

Frank Filippone
BMWRed735i at Gmail.com