Subject: [Leica] How many times have Leica died or will die?
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 07:17:32 +0000

It seems obvious to me that there will always be a tiny number of people for
whom a Leica will be the correct choice. At this tiny production volume they
will be expensive. Assuming increasing production capability will increase
profitability is a not uncommon mistake.
I have been pessimistic for the future of Leica ever since venture
capitalists got involved. They do not take a long term view. They are
rapists (IMHO).
Rolls-Royce cars used to have a 2 year wait for a new one, and dealers would
only accept orders from people who already had one. This kept second hand
prices sky high (above list), and it made complete sense for a wealthy
individual to buy a new one every year since, apart form the capital tied
up, it was cheap motoring. Probably not as good a car as a S-class Mercedes,
but very much cheaper to own.
Some bright spark convinced them to increase production to satisfy demand.
Once the second hand value collapsed, then the astute people who used to run
one stopped. The company went bust and ended up being sold to BMW who
continue to make ?Rolls-Royces? in small numbers at huge prices.
This is the first time I have been genuinely concerned for the future of
Leica.