Subject: [Leica] One camera, one lens
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 17:23:45 -0500

On Sep 4, 2013, at 4:30 PM, Bill Clough wrote:

> HCB occasionally shot with a 35mm and very, very rarely used a 90mm.
>
> --Bill
>

> On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com>
> wrote:
>
>> ?The 50 is exactly what the human eye sees, without any distortion,? said
>> Mr. Delay, 53,"
>> A quaint myth from decades gone by. Most people shooting that stuff now
>> would do it with an ultra wide to wide zoom and to be caught with just a
>> 50
>> would leave them dumbfounded.
>> The human eye sees with a 180mm F/3.4 Apo-Telyt-R  in sharp focus but as
>> in
>> inset to a bokeh rich out of focus 18mm f/3.8 Super-Elmar-M Aspherical
>> extending to way out to the edges otherwise known as peripheral vision.
>> The "discipline" of just using a 50 is just groovy I'm sure a lot of
>> people
>> are wondering what he'd  have brought back from these intense shooting
>> experiences fully equipped  at least with a wide and a Tele to back him up
>> -or those countless times when a 50 is just not going to get the shot.
>>
>> Me I leave the house everyday with a lens on my camera and seldom another
>> lens in by side bag which is when I'm working for myself but If I'm
>> working
>> for others I sure have myself covered in the wide and tele departments. ..
>> As I'm just not going to confuse the wonderfulness of single lens
>> "austerity"  with just not giving a rats ass when I'm on someone else's
>> dime.
>> This guy is apparently living some place for a year then sending in the
>> pix
>> he gets to call it as he wants to - its a bit of a luxury.
>>
>> By the way a misconception HCB did ALL of his work with a 50. He did MOST
>> of
>> his work with a 50  had at least a wide in his bag when he was working for
>> Magnum - not just himself. It seems possible he never used a tele.

In terms of human scale
"street" type photography

A 21 mm on a 24 x 36 frame
feels like what I see when I concentrate
on "taking in" my peripheral vision.

(Anything shorter than the 21mm
feels quite outside my unaided human eye experience)

A 35 mm on a 24 x 36 frame
feels like what I normally see clearly
without any particular focused attention.

A 50 mm on a 24 x 36 frame
feels like what I see using relatively focused attention.

A 75 mm on a 24 x 36 frame
feels like what I see when I'm very focused
and really studying something.

A 90 mm on a 24 x 36 frame
feels like I'm using 5 or 6 power binoculars.

(Anything longer begins to feel telescopic)

Close-up, Macro and Microscopy opens up worlds
normally unseen by my human eye;
as does true Telescopic viewing or photography

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com