Subject: [Leica] MOTION contest
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 22:37:34 -0700

I'm impressed by that first picture of the jumping horse. I wonder what your
technique was for anticipating the right moment. I would like to cite my own
experience for comparison.

For a long period, every shot I ever took of a jump was late, and showed the
horse descending on the far side of the jump. Awful. Then, one year, I was
in a riding class where the instructor insisted that we estimate when we
were five strides from the jump, and call aloud: "Four, three, two, one,
NOW1) Of course, a person who got it wrong would be very embarrassed, so we
quickly learned to estimate that number of strides. The whole point was that
if one didn't start voluntarily leaning forward at just the right moment,
he/she would lose balance backward and might inadvertently yank on the
reins.

Well, some years after that, when watching and trying to photograph jumping
at a horse show, I thought I'd try the same procedure: mentally count down
and press the button on "Now". It worked!

Herbert Kanne
kanner at acm.org
650-326-8204