Subject: [Leica] Re; Politically Incorrect terminology
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 16:27:28 -0500

On Jul 3, 2013, at 4:11 PM, Steve Barbour wrote:

> On Jul 3, 2013, at 1:59 PM, lrzeitlin at aol.com wrote:
>
>> I've been a semi-invalid for the last week recovering from cancer surgery
>> and I've found the last few editions of the LUG to be a good substitute
>> for "War of the Sexes." They take out the stiches in a few days and I
>> should be back to my usual acerbic self.
>>

>> I personally am appalled at the cultural insensitivity to sexist
>> terminology exhibited by many male LUG members. Despite the fact that
>> some of us disagree with Tina's excessive regard for Leica equipment, we
>> don't refer to her as a senorita...
>

> I have to agree that the way senorita is used here on the LUG, I find to
> be disrespectful to women, condescending, demeaning, and
>
> ultimately sexist. We don't refer to young men by the equivalent.
>
> If one of my daughters were photographed  by a LUG member and described in
> these terms, that young lady would certainly not be
>
> happy, and neither would her father.

wow. do neither of you feel or understand the appreciation in the use of the
word "se?orita" on the LUG?
I certainly would not feel offended by someone referring to my daughter,
or a photograph of my daughter, as "beautiful young woman."

I certainly understand language and when language is misused.
Se?orita,
young woman,
young women,
girl (when used for females under 12 or 13),
les jeunes femmes,
junge frauen, fr?ulein
do not qualify as sexist
in my lexicon

are we to refer to men and women as "persons" (never mention gender or age)?

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com