Subject: [Leica] SD cards & magnets or quietest bag - Mark
From: john.o.newell at comcast.net (J. Newell)
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 20:57:56 +0000 (UTC)

I did once have a card cloned, rather than just having the account
information hijacked - it happened in the Providence, RI airport .? I have
had several Citibank MCs hijacked over the years - this episode triggered an
entirely different response by the bank.? I would guess that losses due to
card cloning are a small fraction of overall card theft/hijacking losses
(but I haven't researched it).

I would guess the answer to the question someone posed later in this thread
about why banks don't replace "dumb" cards with "smart" cards is simple:
they presumably estimate that costs would exceed net savings.? Whatever else
is true about banks, they tend to evaluate things in terms of the bottom
line (though they certainly can get the facts wrong in making these
estimates).

John