Subject: [Leica] 90 Summicron APO on digital M's
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 16:23:56 -0700

About a month ago, I was worried about some poorly focussed shots taken with
my 90mm pre-asph Summicron, which I bought many years ago from Henning (way
before prices skyrocketed). I did a careful test at a distance of about 15
feet, using the crack between fence boards as a focus point and took five
shots at f/2 with minute focus adjustments on each side of the on-focus
setting. I found that the sharp picture was the nearest one on one side of
the one that focussed on the crack.

Leica now has the lens for adjustment. They found several things wrong,
including the base plate. I couldn't very well question their judgement;
just told them to skip putting the dots on the base, saving me some bucks,
but before they're done, it will cost me over half of what I originally paid
for the lens!!!

Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org
650-326-8204