Subject: [Leica] To tempt Fuji X users?
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 11:24:55 -0500

On May 18, 2013, at 3:21 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:

> As you or anyone who studied photography knows traditional table top
> photography gets full depth of field less so by stopping the lens all the
> way down to f 64 on a view camera but by tilting the front lens standard
> down so the plane of focus skims across the tops of your subjects.
> Otherwise with sheet film you'd never get much of the thing in focus.

True. Though often with f:32 or 64 as well

> In the past
> decade in food photography as in receipt books a style of photography has
> come in in witch the pix appear to be done with the authors kids or spouses
> point and shoot wide open.  I assume its expense to have a pro photographer
> be with them for months at at time day and night as the recipes are put
> together. Its gotten so in many recipe books even real photographers
> imitate
> that armature snap shot look with better cameras simply by shooting wide
> open. But with no flash. If you Google food photography you'll still see
> plenty of shots with full depth of field as they've always been.

In fact the current "trend" in food photography is the use of selective
focus;
to the point of using tilt/shift to take things out of focus rather than
bring them into focus.

Yes the classic approach is also used at least 50% of the time.

But if you want to earn $$ in food photography today you'll need to be able
to do both
and with a fairly accomplished use of lighting as well.
As always you also need to know how "fine food" actually "looks."
In my (midwest) market most of the restauranteurs and publication art
directors
are looking for the "selective focus" approach.

One need only look to Gourmet, Epicurious, and Saveur to see what's trending
month to month.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com