Subject: [Leica] Winogrand exhibit
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Thu, 09 May 2013 15:28:01 -0500

On May 9, 2013, at 2:29 PM, Richard Man wrote:

> As  I said before, I am wondering if there is a case of color blindness,
> and this is only in the context of someone who photographs at least 2-5
> rolls everyday in NY / LA on average.
>
> I might very well be wrong in the observation, but isn't it interesting
> that people jumped onto the "I am accusing a great man for being racist" or
> that "other artists did not paint Asians" either.
>
> No one has actually said, gee, no, Winogrand does not have a case of color
> blindness, you are just making a mountain out of molehill. I'd accept that,
> but no, we have Mr. Rabiner accusing me, and Douglas and you jumping on the
> bandwagon....

Richard,

Wondering if there "is a case of color blindness"
does not, in my mind, qualify as an observation.

The observation: "In the current show I don't see any [or too few]
photographs of people of color."
stands as the "observation."

"the case" for or against Winogrand's personal take on race or people of
various ethnicities
would require much more research into the man's writings, proof sheets,
interviews, books and past exhibits.

I've watched his work since 1964 and never saw, read or heard evidence for
"a case of Winogrand color blindness."

Replies: Reply from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] Winogrand exhibit)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Winogrand exhibit)
Message from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] Winogrand exhibit)