Subject: [Leica] Another MM Write up
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 16:30:29 -0400

Almost any filter you use is bad for people.
People use yellow they think they're ok. But all the people in their shots
look pasty. Kind of like they're from the planet Saturn.
The extreme example is a red filter which makes lips go white as well as
cheeks. You'll for sure look like a creature from a Star Trek Deep Space
Nine,  or possibly Voyager.

A green filter though does the opposite and having darker lips and cheeks
works well on most people. Instead of a detriment its a benefit.
The  M9 mono's sensor and the hardware behind it has a slant toward green
Erwin mentioned.
http://www.imx.nl/photo/page152/page152.html

Most B&W films were not a panchromatic as they were made out ot be even at
the end and benefited from the use of a light green or yellow green filter.
Also these filters which don't turn people into extraterrestrials.
Also its the wavelength which is the sharpest. Closest together.

Me I like the idea of cutting out the nasty red wavelengths, magenta and
violet wavelengths before they even hit my camera lens.
http://www.rfcafe.com/references/general/images/visible_light_wheel.gif
That way the lens has that just much to not have to worry about. And those
are the light wavelengths which are the furthest apart.
I'll pass on them thank you.

A green or yellow green or dark green filters do not do people harm.
And also make for great landscapes as the skies will show full detail not
washing out and the foliage will be lightened a bit which in most cases
works well for it. As it can be otherwise be rendered un naturally dark.

Its interesting that to get the most separation out of skies its well known
you use a red filter. Couple it with a polarizer and wow!
But the opposite of red is green and a green filter also does well with
skies. Kind of like a super uv filter. Cuts through the haze and makes sure
that the little wispy clouds you see also come through in the final image.
You'd think a UV filter would do that. They don't.
Use as least a yellow. Dark yellow even.

Driving through the great plains in May 1999 doing my Lewis and Clark
Project I had a red filter on my Leica Apo-Telyt-M and a green filter on my
90mm Elmarit-M.
I'd go back and forth between those lenes.
Everything was "way out there".

- - from my iRabs.
Mark Rabiner
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/springdays/