Subject: [Leica] M9 color balance
From: rgacpa at yahoo.com (Bob Adler)
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 21:35:37 -0700 (PDT)

Take a look at the Gretag Mcbeth color checker, a device used by many to
record
the light color at the scene of the shot. The color checker not only
contains
multiple variations of gray, it also contains different color squares to
make
the "white" balance warmer or cooler. The camera white balance may be close,
but
is not usually what I end up with.

One changes the white balance multiple times to obtain the white balance and
colors one wants in the final image. It's a matter of control over your
medium
if you want it. If you don't fine, but don't turn up your nose and imply
it's
ridiculous that anyone would want to do what you don't...
As for Herb's original question, the white balance chosen (either by a
standard
camera setting or creating your own custom raw file, which you can do in the
M9)
is attached with the raw file and that is what the raw converter uses as
"white". But as Richard said, in raw you can easily change what is
associated
with that raw file. My understanding is that though many say RAW is direct
output from the sensor, it really isn't because it has to be interpreted
from 0s
and 1s into colors. So what you set the camera to tells the raw file what
"white" is. You can then correct if needed/want to.

But I have a feeling this isn't what Herb was asking....
Bob Adler
Palo Alto, CA
http://www.rgaphoto.com