Subject: [Leica] 35mm Summicron R lens - good , bad, so so?
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 11:46:09 +0930

This points out something interesting: the 35/2 R lens is optimised
for contrast at 5 lp/mm - you can see this clearly from the MTF
charts.  Its resolution of finer details is relatively poor.  If you
are looking for a lot of fine detail resolution, as you might if using
slow colour slide film, this probably isn't the lens for you, despite
the excellent colour rendition.  It works incredibly well with 400
speed B&W neg films.  I haven't used it on a DMR or any other digital
cameras.

Another option is the Zeiss ZF 35/2, but not for an R camera,
obviously.  The Zeiss is a better lens than the Summicron-R, but is
about the size of the Summilux-R.  Sometimes you get what you ask for,
sometimes you ask for what you get.

Marty