Subject: [Leica] Apology (sort of) NOW BATTERY USE? Flash
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 11:36:25 -0600

Hi Alan,

I agree that properly synched strobe units work fine.  When I started out,
strobe units were massive things suitable mostly for studio work and
attached to Speed Grafix 4x5s.  My Leica synch only worked with bulbs,
because it had adjustable timing settings to assure that the plateau of the
flashbulb coincided with the period that the shutter was traversing the
frame.  They did offer a separate model for strobe synch, but I never saw
one in use.

Another characteristic of the FP shutter and bulbs was that you,
effectively, got only 2/3 of the rated flash output.  I plotted up a number
of  curves before I finally nailed the proper settings.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA