Subject: [Leica] Lion-tailed Macaque
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 11:44:15 +0530

Habitat loss - they do not, for example, go through a tea garden or
other agricultural land to access another patch of forest, so once
they are isolated, they stay isolated, which weakens the gene pool
considerably. In addition, the tea and coffee estates do not plant
trees endemic to this region, which would support varying degrees of
fauna - they plant water leaching, quick growing species like
eucalyptus, which has no ecological value whatsoever, but do have
commercial value. Valparai is totally surrounded by huge tea estates
growing very average tea - mainly for use in inexpensive tea bags - so
this problem of isolation is becoming acute. To add to the woes, more
eco-friendly companies like Unilever have sold all their gardens to
some local buyers, who want to maximize profits through land
development. There are people actively working on this, like Nature
Conservation Federation, who are persuading the tea garden owners to
hand back some land to reforest and maintain animal corridors, with
varying degrees of success:

http://www.ncf-india.org/viewtypes.php?class=ecosystem&type=western+ghats+rainforests

Cheers
Jayanand