Subject: [Leica] New R Solution?
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 16:04:09 +0200

  Why should Leica as a company bother at all?

Market demand would be highest from people with legacy
lenses of all sorts of brands and mounts, Not just Leica R.

Just a simple, basic, manual focus digital camera with
a full frame sensor (or as Sonny mentioned 36x36) a
shutter, some kind of exposure metering and some way of
getting aperture information to the electronics. Then
top it off with something like that ZigView thing as a
monitor you can mount on its hot shoe. Get rid of all
the bells and whistles and get it right down to bare
essentials - like Cosina did with the Bessa-L.

Make it a "lens with a camera on the back of it"
concept, not a high-tech, fully-everything body for lenses

Build it with a register that lets it take almost any
brand of lens you can imagine and offer it with a range
of (interchangeable?) mounts.

Just the thing for people with Canon FD, Minolta,
Nikon, Contax/Yashica, Pentax-K, M42, Olympus, Leica R
and whatever other lenses you happen to have lying around.

I would buy one like a shot.

What is needed is a consortium of camera companies to
work on it to keep development costs low (like they did
with 4/3).

Then the introduction of a lens
refurbishment/exchange/s/h sales system where people
can send in their legacy lenses and have them serviced
or taken in part payment for modern lenses (if they
don't want to go the way of a new platform for old
lenses). This would generate new sales, increased
customer loyalty for all participating brands and
create a dynamic market for CLA'ed second hand lenses
with a manufacturers warranty - and would make almost
everyone happy.

No need to switch your favourite brand, an excellent
customer relations pitch and a great way to get some
excellent glass back in use.

Just my couple of euro-cents on the matter
Douglas