Subject: [Leica] New R Solution?
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 08:16:30 +0100

I don't think there is any hope of a new unique design camera. They have
lost their shirts on almost, if not every new reflex camera they have ever
designed, never sold enough to get the design and tooling costs back, this
includes the Leicaflexes and the R8 and R9, whether they made any money on
the models machined from Minolta castings I don't know, but the market for a
dSLR has too much inexpensive competition for a Leica model to succeed. I
believe neither the Canon EOS1 series nor the Nikon D3 models make any
profit, and can only exist because of profits made on the mass market
models, which, of course, Leica do not have...
I am not expecting much at all, I am afraid. The DMR is still rather fine
though...
Frank