Subject: [Leica] Earl's AA Shots.....
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 13:11:54 +1000

IF these were the work of Ansel Adams and have turned up after it was
presumed that they were destroyed, I don't follow why the current possessor
necessarily 'owns' them anyway. If they were originally sold from that
gallery or otherwise given to someone else by Ansel or his representative
then I guess that means the ownership passed on (although it would likely be
disputed without proof of course).  Some might argue that they could have
actually been looted from the destroyed gallery.

To make a silly example: the Tower of London is destroyed in an earthquake
and someone finds the Crown Jewels in the rubble. Later I announce to the
media that I bought a box of jewels from a garage sale. I add that an
expert insists they are the real deal and valued at up to 200 million
dollars. I guess I might hear from the Royal Family's legal firm pretty
soon!

The content or quality of the photos (not the Cullinan Diamonds) is
essentially irrelevant. Their provenance is the majory factor affecting
their retail 'value' then the identity of the printer.   As Ric said, that's
'art ' for you.

Prints from these would be made by some unknown print maker of unknown skill
as well. I have no idea. Compare the asked for prices to very well made
prints currently available from the offical source made by Alan Ross as I've
mentioned previously. Does this subject look familiar?
<http://www.anseladams.com/Jeffrey_Pine_Sentinel_Dome_p/5010114-u.htm>

 Personally I think that Uncle Earl made some nice photos of popular
subjects well known at the time. I don't know any more about the
authenticity of the photos than anyone else here of course.
Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman