Subject: [Leica] have you seen the most perfect camera backpack?
From: oliverbryk at comcast.net (Oliver Bryk)
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 15:33:08 -0700

Tina opined:

"I don't wear my backpack walking around cities, but I can't imagine
climbing mountains in Honduras and Guatemala without it!!  I also can't
imagine
hiking down the Grand Canyon or up the Sierra Nevada with a shoulder bag! A
backpack is the only way to carry equipment while hiking or mountain
climbing. I need both hands to use my hiking sticks. With a backpack on my
back and a camera around my neck, everything is balanced and I'm not likely
to fall off the side of the mountain!
Tina"

I share Tina's preference and rationale for how to carry stuff in the
mountains.
Until about 10 years ago I carried a complete Hasselblad outfit with three
magazines, Polaroid holder, spot meter and what not in the three top
compartments of a big Kelty B-5 external frame pack, with my Tiltall
strapped on top, and the other paraphernalia needed for a week tucked in
here and there. It didn't matter that it took at least 5 minutes before I
could even put the camera on the tripod.
I tried a good sized LowePro "camera backpack" for a few months and could
not get used to its layout and empty weight. I also distrust zippers.
For about 10 years I have carried one M body and rarely more than two lenses
in a Gregory daypack that I outfitted with Domke inserts so that everything
photographic, as well as a 1-liter water bottle, has its place and doesn't
shift. The tripod stays in the automobile.
For anything more than one M and lens while roaming about town, I carry a
long ago discontinued Leica shoulder bag.
Oliver

Replies: Reply from benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney) ([Leica] have you seen the most perfect camera backpack?)